We Will Write a Custom Essay Specifically
For You For Only $13.90/page!
??? Ill go to bed soon.
??? Ill go to bed in an hour.
??? Ill go to bed when Ive finished my book ??“ adverb clause
1. He went to the store because he needed some eggs.
2. She makes dinner after she gets home.
3. After she gets home, she makes dinner.
4. John goes to the bank if he needs money.
5. If he needs money, John goes to the bank.
6. They are moving to California because they like the weather there.
A clause is a group of words, with a subject and a verb, having a meaning.
An adverb-clause is a group of words which contains a subject and a verb of its own and does the work of an adverb.
Adverb Clauses are subordinate clauses.
I walked today.
The word ???today??™ is modifying the word walked. (When did I walk)
Today is an adverb.
I walked before the sun went down. (When did I walk)
Before the sun went down (dependent adverb clause)
All the words perform the function of an adverb.
Adverb clauses cannot stand alone. Adverb clauses don??™t express a complete idea.
Adverb clauses: until I fall asleep. (does not give you all the information you need to know. You??™re left wondering What until I fall asleep)
whenever my teacher yells.
after I walk the dog.
Adverb clauses need to be hooked with independent clauses in order to express a complete thought.
I listen to music until I fall asleep. (I listen to music can stand all by itself) Whenever my teacher yells, I know she??™s having a bad day.
I will take out the trash after I walk the dog.
1. I read because I love stories.
SUBJECT VERB SUB.CONJUNC SUBJECT VERB
I read because I love Stories.
My mom smiled when I made dinner.
Independent clause subordinate clause
??? Subordinate conjunctions:
??“ After, although, as, because, since, though, unless, until, when, whenever, where, wherever, while, that, as long as, even though, in order that, so that, provided that, as if, before if, even though.
I. Underline the adverb clauses in the following sentences:
1. Wherever there are computers, there is Microsoft software.
2. After the fruit is harvested, it is sold at the market.
3. I didn??™t call her because I??™m shy.
4. She took a computer course so that she could get a better job.
5. If you save your money, you will be able to go to college.
II. Choose the correct subordinating conjunction at the beginning of the adverb clause. :
1. We keep our bread in the fridge_______it doesn??™t go bad. (since, so that, although, after.)
2. The five-cent coin looks very Canadian, ________ it has a picture of a beaver on it.
(since, so that, though, before)
3. You should give the iron time to heat up ________ you iron your clothes.(because, so that, before)
4. You may get malaria ________ you are bitten by a mosquito. (if, so that, though, before)