Kiss Baking Company Limited
Sweet Heart Cakes Limited originated in the heart of El Socorro, Trinidad in 1976, with the goal of manufacturing and distributing snack cakes throughout Trinidad and Tobago. In an effort to expand their business, the company introduced the Milk Sandwich Loaf to their baking portfolio in 1982; shortly after their name was changed to Kiss Baking Company Limited. The factory then moved from El Socorro to its new plant in Chaguanas (formerly Coelho’s plant) in 1991 making them the largest Wholesale Bakery in the Caribbean.
Kiss Baking Company Limited is considered to be a Large Enterprise, housing over 1000 employees. It’s main customer segments are both Demographic and Geographic. The company has also expanded its offerings to include a delectable indulgent portfolio of Birthday cakes in its Kiss Desserts Division. To efficiently and effectively service the entire population, Kiss Dessert Cake Division have thirteen Dessert Centres conveniently located throughout Trinidad and Tobago. These are the Factory Outlet located in Lange Park Chaguanas, Busy Corner Chaguanas, Curepe, Trincity, Arima, Sangre Grande, City Gate, Long Circular Mall, Gulf City, Princes Town, Carlton Centre, C3 Centre and Tobago.
Kiss’ Distribution comprises of over 100 trucks providing a dependable supply of fresh bread and cakes to households across Trinidad and Tobago. Kiss main competitors would be Linda’s Bakery, Bakery Treatz, Xtra Foods, Massy Stores, Tru Valu who have their own bakery sections offering products to customers in-store, as well as smaller neighbourhood bakeries.
Kiss Baking Company Limited also exports to Guyana, Suriname, Grenada, Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua and St Vincent.
The Company’s Vision ”is to dominate the baked goods industry in Trinidad and Tobago, by leading the market in all aspects of personnel development, innovation, product quality, operations and marketing”.
Example of Products being offered by Kiss Baking Company Limited-
The Snack Cake Division:
Orange Cup, Choc a Lot, Strawberry Iced, Chocolate Iced, Vanilla Goodie, Chocolate Chip Muffin, Blueberry Muffin, Double Chocolate Chip Muffin, Chocolate Chip Muffin, Blueberry Muffin, Apple Cranberry Muffin, Brownie, Chocolate Slice, Marble Slice, Orange Slice, Fruit Slice, KISS Family Saver Pack.
The Bread Division:
Kiss Milk, Kiss Wheat, Kiss Burger Buns, Kiss Jumbo Burger Buns with Sesame Seeds, Kiss Hot Dog Rolls, Kiss Jumbo Hot Dog Buns with Sesame Seeds, Kiss Dinner Rolls, Kiss Butter Bread (White) Kiss Wheat Big Brown Buttery Bread, Kiss Junior Butter Bread (White),Oven Classics Harvest Wheat, Oven Classics Marble Rye, Oven Classics 8 Grain, Kiss Regular Hops (White) Kiss Wheat Hops, Kiss 100% Wheat, Kiss Multigrain, Kiss Cinnamon Raisin Bread, Kiss Lemon Loaf, Cheese Fillerz Spicy, Cheese Fillerz, Raisin Buns, Corn Bread, Coconut Sweet Bread, Kiss Healthy Balance Whole Grain Loaf, Healthy Balance 12 Grain Loaf
The Dessert Cake Division: –
Personalized Character cakes available in Round, Hearts, Square ; Sheet Cakes, Cheesecakes, Black Forest, Tiramisu, Black Russian, Chocolate Truffle, Mousse au Chocolate, Bavarian Cream, Cherry Coconut Torte, Fancy Iced Cups, Chocolate Chip Torte, Fruit Loaf, Double Fudge, Double Heart, Fruit cakes, Gourmet Sampler, Red Velvet Cakes
SWOT ANALYSIS ON KISS BAKING COMPANY
A swot analysis is a tool where four interrelated categories identify both the internal and external factors that can impact an organisations performance.
• Wide Variety of products
• Centralized Location /easy access
• Personalization of Desserts Cakes
• Branding and Reputation
• Economies of Scale
• Marketing Presence
• Highly integrated Distribution Network
• Price sensitivity of customers
• Environmentally Conscious
• Nutritional Value
• Potential to access International market
• Offering of New Products
• To be an Environmentally socially and ethically responsible Organisation
• Embracing the potential offered by technology and social media (free advertising)
• Local competition
• Culture Changes
• Shifting consumer taste to healthier options
• Increase in Taxes and Fuel Cost
• Rising cost of Raw Materials
Evaluate how THREE external factors can impact on the organisation.
1. Kiss Baking Company would have been impacted with several economic and political factors e.g. rising labour costs, operational costs and restriction of access to foreign exchange. Trinidad and Tobago’s economy is intensely subject to the Energy sector, as this gives the greater part of income to the nation. The fall in global energy (oil and gas) prices drove the country into a period of negative economic growth. Government endeavours to enhance the nation’s position has now put weight on organizations who need to vie for outside trade. Kiss Baking Company would have been impacted as they source the majority of their raw materials abroad. The government also introduced a new tax for major corporations. Effective January 1st 2018, corporations making more than TT$1 million will be charged 30% tax. (Budget Statement 2018 2017) Financial information is not easily accessed at Kiss, but because of the size and scale of production, it is assumed that this new tax would have directly affected them cutting into their profits. The Government again decreased the fuel subsidy and given that this company has a highly integrated Distribution Network that services throughout Trinidad and Tobago six days per week, this would have certainly affect them.
2. Social Trends are always showing signs of change and development, especially in a society as highly influenced by the Western world. Within the last few years, people’s attitude towards diet and health has changed and there is a sudden fitness craze that has hit Trinidad and Tobago. Changing lifestyle choices means there is a greater focus on healthier food options. A recent but growing trend noticed impacts one of Kiss’ main target groups – children. From the preschool level and even within some primary schools, dietary restrictions are being placed on the type of snacks allowed to be brought in children’s lunch bags. Likewise, more adults are also considering the nutritional value of products to match a healthier lifestyle. These patterns will directly affect customer purchasing propensities.
3. Despite their size and wide variety of products, Kiss confronts competition from smaller local rivals with regards to specific product offerings such as breads and cakes. These rivals include businesses such as Linda’s Bakery, Bakery Treatz, local groceries such as Xtra Foods, Massy Stores, Tru Valu who have their own bakery sections offering products to customers in-store, as well as smaller neighbourhood bakeries. While separately these contenders are not ready to coordinate the expansiveness of items offered by Kiss, they do have the potential to hurt individual lines. For instance, Linda’s popularity as an alternative option for bread, especially as they have opened over four new locations in the past year across the country. They also sell to consumers the convenient co-products such as tuna salads and cheese pastes which offer a full meal in one place, appealing to busy working buyers who may not want to go home to the kitchen to cook. Bakery Treats on the other hand competes with Kiss’ customized cakes line by offering a fully personalized service to customers who can design their own cakes and choose from a wide range of flavours not offered by Kiss.
2. Using your answer to Task 1a, evaluate the different approaches management could adopt to manage the impacts of the factors
There are many different styles of management which can be used to manage the impacts of the external environment.