Introduction: This experiment involves an extraction of a natural merchandise utilizing the techniques of steam distillment. The principle constituent of oil of cloves is an aromatic compound. which is identified by thin bed chromatography ( TLC ) .
Eugenol is widely used in dental medicine. due to its analgetic. antiseptic balsamy qualities. It is ideal for remedy for mush hyperaemia ( the soft. sensitive substance underneath the enamel and dentine of a tooth ) and mush its. In dental medicine eugenol is besides used to cover pits. fill canals. etc. It besides keeps nutrient fresh and kills off bacteriums and viruses. Eugenol helps maintain meat fresh and prevents stomach disquieted. diarrhoea. and wound infections. In add-on. it might play a portion in alleviating dyspepsia. commanding diarrhoea. and mending cuts and bites.
Need essay sample on Steam Distillation of Eugenol Essay ?We will write a custom essay sample specifically for you for only $12.90/pageorder now
Eugenol is the chief active ingredient in cloves.
1. In a 250 milliliter unit of ammunition underside flask. topographic point 10. 0g of land cloves and 80 milliliter of H2O. Set up for a simple distillment
2. Heat to boiling and roll up the distillation until you no longer see droplets of organic liquid coming out of the capacitor ( about 40 proceedingss ) .
3. Put the distillation in a separatory funnel and infusion with three 10 mL parts of Dichloromethane
4. Unite the methylene chloride infusions and dry over Sodium Sulfate.
5. Analyze the pureness of the extract utilizing thin-layer chromatography ( TLC ) . Descry a little sample of the infusion utilizing a capillary spotter about 1 centimeter from the terminal of TLC home base.
6. Visualize utilizing a UV visible radiation and tag the envisioned musca volitanss with a pencil.
7. Record the figure of musca volitanss and the Rf values from the topographic point ( s ) .
8. While the home base is developing set up a clean and dry distillment set up and condense off most of the methylene chloride dissolver.
9. The staying solution of Eugenol in Dichloromethane can be removed utilizing a disposable pipette and placed into a clean pre-weighted phial.
10. The vial can be heated on a steam bath under the goon to take the little sum of methylene chloride.
11. The pure Eugenol should be weighted to find the per centum oil recovered based on the mass of cloves originally used.
Density of Eugenol: 1. 34 g/mL
BP of Eugenol: 40°C
Initial mass of Eugenol: 18. 545 g
Mass of phial: 18. 0063 g
Mass of Eugenol Oil: 18. 434 g
= ( 18. 545 g – 18. 434 g ) /18. 434 ten 100 = 0. 602 %
Thin bed chromatography:
Rf= ( Distance substance moved/Distance dissolver moved )
Rf= ( 4. 2/5. 1 )
Rf= ( . 824 )
The experiment was successful in that we did insulate eugenol as proven by thin bed chromatography. Our Rf value was slightly high. This is likely because the beaker with the trichloromethane was non 100 % closed during the clip we did the thin bed chromatography. Our ticker glass was non 100 % efficient. Besides when we were heating the liquid in the capacitor. heating the liquid at a rate excessively high could do extra stuffs to come out in the concluding merchandise.
Other than that. human mistake is a concern. This can be minimized by careful observation. and proper process. Still. our per centum mistake was under 1 per centum. which is really favourable.